Monday, April 30, 2007

Chapter 3


Faith had to laugh at her daughter's timing, "well I guess we are all going to dinner." The foursome gathered their things and made their way to their cars. Faith let Richie lead the way to the restaurant, all the while admiring the slick silver sports car he drove. They made it to Paradise Cove without incident. As it was early enough, they were seated almost immediately. After they ordered Faith excused herself to the ladies' room. She used the facilities, washed her hands and looked at herself in the mirror. What am I doing? She sighed and shook her head.

Richie watched as Faith came back to the table. He liked what he saw, even better, he liked that she had acted normal around him. That usually didn't happen, but he was glad it did in this case. He stood as she approached the table and pulled her chair out for her. Faith was surprised by the gesture, it had been a long time since anyone had done that for her. "Thank you." He smiled, "my pleasure."

They enjoyed their meal and the girls were talking and not paying the adults any mind. Faith and Richie chatted between the two of them. "So, Faith, what do you do when you aren't lounging on the beach?" She smiled at the image, "wouldn't that be a wonderful way to while away the hours? Actually, I am one of two chefs at a little cafe downtown, but my dream is to own my own catering business one day. Good food made easy is a passion for me. I love to cook." "I love a woman who can cook, because I like to eat." Again Faith had to laugh. "Well, I am always looking for a guinea pig to test out new recipes on." Richie smiled, "I have been called a lot of things, but guinea pig is a new one." Faith laughed again. Her face was going to hurt after all the laughter this afternoon. "So, are you working at the cafe tonight?" Faith shook her head. "No, I clean a building downtown a couple nights a week too. The extra money never hurts."

Richie was impressed with this woman. She works two jobs to support her daughter and apparently there was no husband involved. "How do you manage it?" Faith shook her head, "I just do what needs to be done. I need to be able to provide for Hannah so I just do." Richie took her hand and again noticed her ring. "Where is he?" He really wanted to know how someone could let her get away. Faith opened her mouth to answer when the waitress came. "Anyone need anything else?" Faith glanced at her watch, "just the check please."

3 comments:

The Goddess Hathor said...

Hi Stephanie! I love the easy repoire between Richie and Faith. Thanks for this chapter, and looking forward to reading more!

- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I agree they seem so comfortable in each others company, I look forward to seeing how their relationship develops.

RICHIEFAN

Starr said...

Another good chapter!

Yes I agree Richie and Faith seem very comfortable with each other.

Will read the next one as time permits and thanks for sharing!