Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Chapter 10


Faith's head was spinning on the way home. If the man could kiss like that... she didn't want to finish the thought. She was getting worked up just thinking about his mouth. "Stop it" she told herself. If she kept this up she would make herself crazy before Monday.

Faith worked the next couple of days and that helped ease her anxiousness. Keeping busy always helped Faith keep it together. The cafe was just past the lunch rush and during the lull one of the waitresses, Susie, came into the kitchen. "Faith, there is a customer on the patio who would like to see you." Faith looked up, "is there a problem?" Susie shrugged, "don't know, he only said he wanted to see the chef." Faith wiped her hands and followed Susie out. When they got to the patio Faith dropped her face to her hands and shook her head.

"What are you doing here?" It was Richie . "Having lunch" he told her with a smile. In all actuality Richie had wanted to see Faith so he had decided to check out the cafe. Faith smiled at him. "What did ya have?" While she made the food, she had no idea which order went to who. "the cuban sandwich and soup of the day" Richie told her with a smile. "From the looks of your plate I would say you enjoyed it." "It was excellent. Now I am really looking forward to dinner tomorrow." Faith laughed and touched his arm, "well, I can promise it will be better than soup and a sandwich." They chatted for a few more minutes and then Faith excused herself, she had to get back to work.

Richie paid his bill and left a generous tip. As he walked through the cafe he caught a glimpse of Faith in the kitchen. She was washing up the pots and pans, getting everything ready for the dinner rush. She happened to glanced up and caught Richie's eye. He winked at her and headed out.

When Faith got home she decided she needed to talk to Hannah about her upcoming "date". She wanted to make sure that Hannah was okay with her seeing someone that wasn't her dad. After they had their dinner and Hannah was ready for bed, Faith brought a framed photo into her room and sat down on the edge of the bed. "Hannah, I need to talk you." "Am I in trouble? I don't remember doing anything bad." Faith smiled at her daughter, "no honey, you are not in trouble." She showed Hannah the picture. It was of her father. Hannah looked at her mom, "that's the picture from your room." "I know, I think you should have it in here now." "I miss him mom." "I know you do sweetie, so do I." Hannah took the picture and put it on the night stand. "I was starting to forget him. I like having the picture here. It helps."

Faith couldn't help the tears. So much had changed for Hannah in the last few years and now she was going to throw something else at her. "Hannah, you know that I have a date tomorrow night, do you know with who?' "With Ava's dad." "That's right. Does that bother you?" "Well, what about daddy, don't you still love him?" Faith gathered Hannah close, "I will always love your dad honey, but I like Richie too. She looked down at Hannah, "I think my heart may have room for someone else, at least I hope it does." Hannah smiled at her mom, "you should do what makes you happy mom." Faith gave Hannah a hug, "thanks baby."

1 comment:

The Goddess Hathor said...

Awww. Hannah is so grown up for such a little girl! I love her!

BTW, can't wait for the date!